As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The rise of electric bikes (e-bikes) has revolutionized the way we commute, providing eco-friendly, efficient, and enjoyable transportation options.
Among the many e-bike manufacturers, Aventon has earned a reputation for producing high-quality electric bikes designed for the modern commuter.
In this comprehensive comparison, we’ll explore two of their standout models: the Aventon Level and the Aventon Level 2.
By the end of this article, you’ll have a clear understanding of the differences between these two e-bikes and be better equipped to make an informed decision on which one suits your commuting needs.
So, keep reading!
The Aventon Level: A Commuter’s Best Friend
The Aventon Level has been a favorite among commuters for its well-rounded features and reliable performance. Let’s delve into the specifics of this popular e-bike.
Motor and speed
- The Aventon Level boasts a 500W continuous-rated rear geared hub motor, providing ample power for your daily commute.
- With a top speed of 20 mph (32 km/h) when using the throttle, the Level ensures you get to your destination swiftly.
- When engaging the pedal assist, the level can reach up to 28 mph (45 km/h), allowing you to effortlessly keep up with traffic or breeze through busy city streets.
Battery and Range
- Equipped with a 48V, 15Ah (720Wh) frame-integrated, removable battery, the Aventon Level strikes a balance between capacity and convenience.
- On a single charge, the Level can cover a throttle range of approximately 27 miles (43 km), perfect for short urban commutes.
- For those who prefer pedal assist, the Level offers a range of 19–53 miles (30–85 km), catering to different ride lengths and terrains.
Construction and Weight
- The frame of the Aventon Level is crafted from 6061 double-butted aluminum, known for its lightweight yet durable properties.
- Weighing in at 54 lbs (24.5 kg), the Level is relatively lightweight for a commuter e-bike, enhancing maneuverability and portability.
Brakes and Extras
- Aventon ensures safety with hydraulic disc brakes featuring 180 mm rotors, offering reliable stopping power in various weather conditions.
- The Level includes a color LCD display that provides essential information such as speed, battery level, pedal assist level, and more.
- To enhance visibility, the Level is equipped with integrated headlights and taillights, crucial for safe night riding.
- For added convenience, the e-bike features a thumb throttle, front and rear fenders, and a rear rack.
- The Aventon Level is competitively priced at $1,949, offering excellent value for its feature set.
The Aventon Level has been a reliable companion for countless commuters, providing a balanced combination of power, range, and safety features.
However, the e-bike landscape is ever-evolving, and Aventon has raised the bar with Level 2.
Aventon Level 2: The Evolution of Commuter E-Bikes
The Aventon Level 2 represents an evolution in commuter e-bikes, addressing some of the key areas where its predecessor excelled and taking them a step further.
Here’s an in-depth look at what makes Level 2 stand out.
Torque Sensor for Enhanced Pedal Assist
- The standout feature of the Aventon Level 2 is the inclusion of a torque sensor. This sensor revolutionizes the pedaling experience by providing responsive pedal assistance based on the rider’s effort. The harder you pedal, the more assistance you receive, resulting in a more natural and enjoyable ride.
- In contrast, the Aventon Level relies on a cadence sensor, which counts the number of pedal rotations to determine motor assistance. While effective, it can feel less responsive than the torque sensor.
Improved Throttle Response
- Aventon has fine-tuned Level 2’s thumb throttle for enhanced responsiveness. This improvement addresses a previous critique and ensures that the throttle delivers power smoothly, making acceleration more intuitive and enjoyable.
Integrated Lights with Brake Functionality
- The Aventon Level 2 comes equipped with frame-integrated taillights located on the seat stays. These taillights are not only bright and clear but also serve as brake lights, enhancing safety by signaling your deceleration to other road users.
- While the Aventon Level also features integrated lights, the Level 2’s taillights are a notable improvement, contributing to your visibility during day and night rides.
- Aventon continues its trend of enhancing connectivity and functionality with Level 2. This e-bike supports the Aventon app, allowing riders to connect their smartphones and customize settings such as maximum speed.
- Unfortunately, the Aventon Level does not support the app due to its compatibility limitations with the simple display used on that model.
- The Aventon Level 2 is competitively priced at $1,949, aligning with the Aventon Level and offering significant value for the features it provides.
The Aventon Level 2 builds upon the strengths of the Aventon Level, offering a more responsive and natural pedaling experience with the torque sensor.
Its improved throttle response, integrated taillights with brake functionality, and app support make it a compelling choice for tech-savvy commuters.
Comparing the Aventon Level and Level 2
Now that we’ve explored the key features and enhancements of both the Aventon Level and Level 2, let’s dive into a detailed comparison to help you make an informed decision.
Motor and speed
- Both the Aventon Level and Level 2 are equipped with a 500W continuous-rated rear geared hub motor, ensuring robust performance.
- When using the throttle, both e-bikes can reach a top speed of 20 mph (32 km/h), allowing for quick acceleration.
- In pedal assist mode, they offer a maximum speed of 28 mph (45 km/h), making them ideal for covering longer distances.
Battery and Range
- The battery configuration is identical for both models, featuring a 48V, 15Ah (720Wh) frame-integrated, removable battery.
- The throttle range for both e-bikes is around 27 miles (43 km), suitable for short urban commutes.
- When using pedal assist, the Aventon Level and Level 2 offer a range of 19–53 miles (30–85 km), catering to various riding needs.
Construction and Weight
- Both e-bikes feature a frame constructed from 6061 double-butted aluminum, known for its lightweight and durable properties.
- The Aventon Level and Level 2 have a similar weight, with both models weighing approximately 54 lbs (24.5 kg).
Brakes and Extras
- Safety is a priority for both e-bikes, with hydraulic disc brakes equipped with 180-mm rotors for reliable stopping power.
- Both models feature a color LCD display, integrated headlights, and taillights for enhanced visibility.
- The inclusion of a thumb throttle, front and rear fenders, and a rear rack is a common feature set for both the Aventon Level and Level 2.
- Both the Aventon Level and Level 2 are priced at $1,949, making them competitive options in the e-bike market.
Which Aventon e-bike is right for you?
The choice between the Aventon Level and Level 2 ultimately depends on your specific needs and preferences as a commuter.
Here are some factors to keep in mind when making your decision:
Choose the Aventon level if:
- You prioritize budget-friendly options: The Aventon Level offers an excellent set of features at a slightly lower price point, making it a budget-conscious choice.
- You are comfortable with the cadence sensor. If the cadence sensor’s performance aligns with your riding style, the Aventon Level provides reliable assistance.
Opt for Aventon Level 2 if:
- You seek a more responsive pedaling experience. The torque sensor in the Aventon Level 2 offers a significant improvement in pedal assist responsiveness, making your rides more enjoyable.
- Integrated lights and brake functionality are crucial. Level 2’s advanced taillights with brake functionality enhance safety, especially during night rides, and you value these features.
Related Article: Aventon vs. Lectric
Aventon has consistently delivered top-quality electric bikes designed to meet the needs of modern commuters. The Aventon Level and Level 2 are prime examples of their commitment to providing versatile and high-performance e-bikes.
The Aventon Level caters to those who appreciate a well-rounded commuter e-bike that delivers an efficient and enjoyable ride. Its competitive price and reliable features make it an attractive choice for a wide range of riders.
On the other hand, Aventon Level 2 represents the next stage in the evolution of commuter e-bikes. With a torque sensor for responsive pedal assist, improved throttle response, advanced taillights, and app support, it caters to tech-savvy riders looking for an enhanced riding experience.
Ultimately, the decision between the Aventon Level and Level 2 comes down to your individual preferences and priorities as a commuter.
No matter which e-bike you choose, you can trust Aventon’s commitment to quality and innovation, ensuring a reliable and enjoyable commute for years to come.
Whether you’re navigating bustling city streets or cruising through scenic routes, Aventon has an electric bike designed to make your journey as smooth and enjoyable as possible.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.